If you’re managing your own property then spring maintenance should be the first thing on your mind as the weather starts to warm up. Whether you have to improve curb appeal, get started on cutting grass, or repair any damage caused to gutters, roofing, and landscapes during the winter, you should get started on it as soon as possible. As a property owner it’s actually your job to take care of all of the following details (unless you’ve hired a professional Bothell property management company to do that for you).
Creating a List of To-Do’s
Your to-do list is extremely important because it helps you decide what has to be done. You should consider creating your list on a computer using an Excel doc or text editor and then try to organize tasks by importance. This comes in especially handy if you have a limited budget because you can budget the most important maintenance tasks first and then add on the others as you increase your budget. Common things on this list include some of the following:
- Batteries in smoke detectors
- Cleaning Gutters
- Repairing leaky faucets & pipes
- Ordering an HVAC inspection
- Cleaning & Painting in Empty Units
- Inspect Everything
- Change filters
If you have a basic list of things that you think have to be repaired, then the first step to creating a great finalized repair list is to send a notification letter to your tenants. Some of them will be able to help you out by telling you what else has to be repaired so that you can save time on inspections. The easiest way to notify tenants is to send out a newsletter, but you can also pass out letters or flyers, or post a flyer in the lobby if applicable.
Maintenance may be something that you have to do, but you don’t really want to spend a great deal of money on it if you can help it. In fact, the more you can budget the better. So here are a couple of tips to help you with your Bothell Property Management.
- Try to work out a single price for everything with the same company if possible. Some maintenance companies will cut you a deal for doing everything at once because they don’t have to pay for transportation multiple times, others will cut you a deal because they usually charge you for transportation each time.
- Compare as many options as possible to see who offers the best value for the money
- Fix things before they become major problems.
If you think that handling maintenance and handling your normal day to day details of managing your property might be too much, then you may need help. Hiring a professional Bothell property management company to help you out will not only ensure that everything happens on schedule, it will probably also save you even more money on maintenance because professionals often have contacts that will offer you a deal. Want to know more? Contact us to find out what we can do for you.