SJA Property Management logo

SJA Partners

Learn about out Vendor and Broker Partnership Programs

Vendors which have established a good working relationship with SJA.
Learn about our SJA Partner Program.

SJA Advisors

Wealth Creation Through Passive Real Estate Investing

SJA Advisors support investors at all levels

Exceptional investment risk management & efficient portfolio creation

Comprehensive services to help clients buy, sell, or manage a property

SJA Learning Center

Wealth Creation Through Passive Real Estate Investing

Investing in one of our syndicated properties is entirely passive.

Backed by Innovative Technology

Frequently Asked Questions from new property owners

Syndication is only available to SJA clients who are also accredited investors

SJA Property Management

For Seattle, Eastside, and surrounding Puget Sound areas.

About SJA

Wealth Creation Through Passive Real Estate Investing

Meet the SJA Property Management Team

Giving back to our community and leaving it better than we found it

One of the fastest growing private companies

What clients and property owners are saying about SJA.

Let’s get started!

SJA Tenants

Tenant services made easy by SJA Property Management

View your account from anywhere.
Submit through your Tenant Portal.
Featured Tenant Benefits
Apply now for your Portal account.
Inspections, Deposit Returns and more.
Common Tenant Questions


Spring Cleaning

Written by SJA Property Management

SJA offers premier Seattle property management services and serves as the local real estate industry’s most experienced resource for rental property owners.

You probably know that you have to collect rent and keep up with your clients. You probably also know that you have to keep up with maintenance. But is there anything else you have to do? As a landlord you should always read a copy of Washington’s RCW Title 59 to find out about what you are required to do as a landlord.

Here is a quick guide to what you or your Sammamish property management company is required to do for your tenants.

Provide Garbage Disposal

If you thought that you could just rent out units and leave garbage disposal to the city then you are unfortunately wrong. Washington law stipulates that you have to provide adequate garbage disposal for all of your tenants. This usually means working out dumpster rental and pickup with the city council if you have multiple tenants or a large number of units. The City of Sammamish provides online information so that you can rent and schedule large-scale trash disposal for your apartments and condominiums.

Bug & Rodent Control

Did you know that it’s your responsibility to control any pests on your property? While you might not know it, the city does. If one of your tenants complains of pests, then you do have to take care of them. Usually the fastest way to take care of a large infestation is by fumigating, but this can be costly. There are multiple pest exterminators in the Seattle area, but you should consider looking around to see if there are other options first if you do have pests.


If your tenants do not rent it then it is your responsibility to keep clean. For most property owners, that means keeping building exteriors, lobbies, hallways, and exterior buildings clean. Usually a once a week cleaning, or a biweekly cleaning, should be enough to handle the ‘reasonably clean’ law but you can consider more or less depending on your budget. Mowing grass and manicuring lawns on your property is also your problem unless you are renting a residential home.

Install Safety Devices

While you are not legally required to have insurance, you are legally required to install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms in each of your units. You are also required to instruct each of your tenants on how to operate the alarms and usually how to change batteries as well. Usually this is a onetime thing per tenant, although you may have to supply them batteries every 6 months as well.

Keep The Unit Weather Tight

Having a leak is always a bad thing, but it’s actually illegal not to fix it if you’re in the Seattle area. Weather tight means preventing leaks and drafts, and can usually only be done by a professional. You can consider getting an inspection to make sure the unit is weather tight before renting it in order to make sure you have no future issues.

Anything that you own is automatically your responsibility to maintain. If appliances are included in the rent, then it is your job to make sure that they stay running, or are replaced, for the duration of the lease. Another consideration is that if heating is included in the cost of the rent then you are legally required to keep temperatures in the unit at 65 or higher during the day and 55 or higher at night for September through June.

If you’re looking for help with your property management, consider contacting SJA Property Management to find out what a Sammamish property management company can do for you.

Complimentary Rental Analysis

Find out what your Seattle area investment property will rent for today, and learn more about our premiere Property Management Services.